Sunday, January 1, 2012

nyc

I'm not a native New Yorker, though I lived a goodly portion of my life just 9 miles west of the Holland Tunnel in Harrison, NJ. Some people fear NYC, as if there are dragons awaiting them on the other end of the tunnel, but I feel as comfortable there as I am at home. I have no qualms about parking on the street, although sometimes finding a prime spot is difficult. It depends on the day and the gig. Weekends are easy; there's always a legal and free parking spot somewhere.

Yesterday, New Years Eve, I drove into the city for work. The roads were unexpectedly clear and open and I breezed through the Lincoln Tunnel. New Years Eve is "Amateur Night" after all and the hordes descended on the city via mass transit, fearful of being pulled over for a DUI. Good for them, and good for me. Typically I factor in some extra time to hunt for a spot and today I was concerned. I was lucky and had lot of time to waste after finding my parking spot.

New York is a great place to wile away a few hours. It was an unseasonably mild afternoon with the temperature hedging towards 60 degrees so I took to the streets for a stroll. Sometimes following the Vacations From Home credo is so easy for I enjoy walking NYC streets, especially when I'm armed with a good cigar. 

The streets were teeming. Holiday revelers weaved along the choked sideways, giving the police, who were out in a major show of force, a wide berth. I walked east on 57th Street. Barricades kept cars from driving south towards Times Square along Broadway and 7th Avenue and pedestrians were challenged by the police for identification, limiting access to the controlled chaos. Following my Churchill I ambled along the outskirts of all this commotion and only headed south at 6th Avenue. It was still crowded, but manageable. There was a calm feeling to the hordes as if everyone was happy enough to be in the area, as if there was not a single solitary native New Yorker within miles of midtown.

Along with all the other tourists I walked through Rockefeller Plaza, ogled the Christmas tree there, and walked down 5th Avenue past St. Patrick's Cathedral and the decorated shop windows, before heading over to Park to pass the Waldorf Astoria. No other city in the world can compete with these views. I happily puffed my stogie at the views and the crowds which would part warily before my lighted beacon. I smiled warmly with this mini-vacation from home before I had to head for my job that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment