Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Relevancy

For a long long long time my favorite baseball team, the New York Yankees, was irrelevant. Despite the rich history of the team they were pitiful. I endured the losing seasons graciously though and still hated the Boston Red Sox because I knew they weren't going anywhere either. As a fan of a mediocre team solace was gained in the knowledge that though the Yankees drought stretched a decade, Boston's was getting close to that four score and seven years ago mind numbing count. 

When the team was bad, tickets were always available. I once walked up to the Yankees box office hours before first pitch and scored a ticket 10 rows up from home plate on the aisle. I was able to see the pitcher grimace with every bad call from the umpire. I once went to the storied Fenway Park to watch the Sox play the Indians. I sat just behind the dugout and was struck with how empty that stadium was and though I was wearing a Yankees hat, I was barely hassled.

it's okay to look down
With the resurgence of baseball in general and with the recent success of these two storied franchises;  Boston's 86 year World Series drought ended a few years back; tickets are tougher to come by and tickets can be very pricey. Yankees stadium may be a cathedral for the sport, but it costs a lot of indulgences to enter. (That's a Catholic reference.)  Although I have been a fan of the Yankees since my youth, I had never seen these two teams play a game against one another. This past weekend we went. Tickets were not available through the Yankees website, but they were on StubHub.com. After everything was added in, including the 4.95 download fee so you can print tickets at home, we saw the Yankees lose 4-1 to the rapidly fading Red Sox for approximately $40 per ticket. Of course we were unable to see any facial expressions from our aerie, but we had a great view of the facade. Oh, and by the way, the Yankees have a 4 game lead in the AL East as of today, while Boston is playing .484 ball and are 13 games back... YES!


No comments:

Post a Comment