Wednesday, December 27, 2017

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE

ORGIES AND TRUMP
Your favorite world travelers haven’t been getting much further than Nantwich, Chesire in the United Kingdom lately and that’s quite okay. Family is involved of course and that makes it really easy to return here again and again. Yeah, I know, it’s a big world out there, and there is a lot to see, but Nantwich has become a second home and Janet has been kind enough to share her family with me.

Janet visits this little town, south of Liverpool and Manchester and a few miles east of Wales, about twice a year. Her daughter lives here now with her husband and young children. I don’t make it here quite as much, but I have become quite familiar with the town. I have been here enough that people are beginning to recognize me from the last visit.
The in-laws are wonderful and we adults go out often for a drink at the pubs.

NANTWICH
I’ve been here often enough to know lots of things about Nantwich. I know the town had been a center for salt cultivation dating from Roman times. I know that the people who live here are called “Dabbers” which may or may not have something to do with the tanning industry that once flourished here; it all depends on who you ask. I know a WWII American airman is revered here for putting the town before his own safety when he veered his troubled aircraft away from Nantwich and crashed in a nearby field and that there is a memorial to his brave sacrifice.I know there are several festivals and events in Nantwich that are well attended. There’s the Nantwich Cheese Awards, and The Worm Charming Championships (actually held just outside Nantwich in Willaston). There’s the Nantwich Jazz and Blues Festival and the Nantwich Food Festival. I know that the best fish and chips takeaway is found at Coral Reef on Pillory Street.



THE HEART OF ENGLAND
Now, I am here like Janet to visit the kids. I love this precious family time in this lovely little town, but I have to admit I also look forward to going out to the pubs; although not necessarily for the beer, (I can’t keep up.) Pubs, short for public houses are the focal point of social life in England.  Men, women, children and dogs all gather at these drinking establishments for beer, cider, wine, sodas and food, games like darts and dominoes and pool. They gather at the pubs to watch games on the television. They pop in for a quick pint in the afternoon, or for an evening of 8 or 9. They go to free houses and tied houses. The free house pubs choose what beers they want to sell and the tied houses serve beer from a particular brewery. I’ve been to Nantwich so many times now that I’m a regular in a few of the pubs and this humble “Yank” is no longer a novelty. I’m just another patron.

In fact, just the other night at the Nantwich Club, located in the center of town right by the 14th Century St. Mary’s church looming beautifully in the evening air, I was approached by an older woman who recognized me from the New Year’s celebration a couple of years ago as “the Yank”. She was waiting for a place at the dominoes table and she shook her shoulders as she sidled up to me and reminded me that on that night they got to “really rock and rolling.”  I feigned embarrassment and said, “Ah, jees….,” which she took to mean orgies. The rest of our time there she kept fawning over me. I may be a regular, but I still can’t speak the language properly. (I gotta work on my accent.) 

Indeed, many things are lost in translation, even though we are all speaking English, and over the years I’ve learned some “American” words that are commonplace are absolutely rude over here. The other day one of the kids was trying to climb on the front window sill of the house and I said his mom would get pissed if she caught him.... Janet said getting pissed means she's drinking. Well...I don't know if she needed a naughty boy as an excuse to start drinking, and I won’t go into the English interpretation of some other words, but you don’t really talk about “fanny” packs or “growlers” or “trumps” in polite company. 

Well, if you must know, “TRUMP” is the English word for fart.
St. Mary's Church, Nantwich

No comments:

Post a Comment