Monday, December 24, 2018

AQUAMAN


UNDER THE SEA
The first and only time I went scuba diving was 12 years ago while on a Windjammer Barefoot Cruise through the Genadines. This small fleet of majestic wooden sailing ships are long gone, but the memories of that dive are strong. Some lads from Bequia with diving gear met the boat, gave us a quick lesson on how to use the regulator, the breathing apparatus that makes scuba diving so relatively easy compared to snorkeling, and they threw us in the water. We were told to breathe slowly and deeply and relax. It was easy for me even though I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, but the water was warm and visibility was forever. Never getting deeper than 20 feet we slowly made our way through the crystal water for about 30 minutes. I was awestruck by the beauty and the freedom I felt as I slowly swam in this new world. I saw a Manta Ray that had buried itself in the sand flit away when I neared it. I saw a little fish look at me astonished when I swam over his hiding spot inside a sponge.
WINDJAMMER BAREFOOT
CRUISE

It was joyous and I have to thank Janet for it. She’s a PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) certified OPEN WATER diver, which means she can go very deep. On that trip long ago, she urged me to go out of my comfort zone to try this incredible sport. Reason #17 why she’s a wonderful wife.
PADI 

Sadly, that was the only time we went scuba diving, until our recent trip to the all-inclusive, Adults only, couples only, Sandals Grande Antigua resort. Scuba diving was included in our stay along with all the gear, tanks, a dive boat and a dive master. Along with various other activities like Hobie Cats, snorkeling and paddle boards, the water sports at Sandals was an alluring draw.

As I was not certified and Janet wanted a refresher class, we intended to take a quick on-resort course that for a nominal fee would allow us to dive once a day while at Sandals, but I quickly opted to take a full-blown course that would certify me as a Scuba diver, which would be a lifetime achievement. The dive shop at Sandals was able to look up Janet’s Open Water certification from the eighties which made my decision, although costly at over $400, an easy one to make.

WALKING BEFORE RUNNING
I ran my first marathon with no appreciable training. I was 29 and buoyed by youthful enthusiasm and fueled by adrenalin I finished my first race, the Marine Corps Marathon, in 3:59:30, shouting “I f*cking did it” to the gathered Grunts greeting me in the chute. They hooted and hollered with me! I completed this great task just on sheer will.
                                                                                                          
I also didn’t walk correctly for about a month afterwards.

I eventually got to a PR of 3:35, but after that first race, I respected the enormity of the event and did not take it lightly. I trained properly and never hurt myself again. I learned to listen to my body and press when possible or ease off whenever necessary.
JANET TAKING THE PLUNGE

NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH!
I could liken that first dive to my first marathon. Fueled by adrenaline and a natural exuberance I was fearless and enjoyed the time, not realizing any of the inherent dangers that come with diving. When I went for my certification at Sandals Grande Antigua it was a sobering, eye-opening experience. Yes, the training included how to use the regulator, as the lads from Bequia had long ago, but the main course was what to do in various scenarios, like reading hand signals from the dive master, like sharing your regulator with a dive buddy in need, like monitoring your depth and how much available air you have with an SPG, like using a BCD vest in an attempt to achieve neutral buoyancy, like clearing your mask underwater and breathing without it for a while, like making an emergency ascent if you’ve run out of air, like pausing at a safety stop for three minutes while ascending as a prudent move against lung over expansion and decompression sickness.

Oh, my word, my head was spinning throughout. Though it’s a beautiful sport, it comes with a whole lotta rules and listed above is just a small sample of the necessary steps to certification. With running, you just have to make sure your shoes are tied and you drink fluids… and you do have to train.
LIONFISH

If you decide to travel to Sandals Grande Antigua and get certified, ask for my instructor Mr. Ivense George. I can’t afford to travel him around to be my personal dive master, but we will be happy to help you. He was calming and patient whenever I got skittish; this can be a strenuous activity after all. He sought out a Lionfish to show us when I had expressed an interest in seeing this invasive fish. He guided me throughout the process of getting certified as a Scuba Diver and I could not have done it without him. 
DIVE SPOTS SANDALS ANTIGUA

Now the next step is to get Open Water certification so I can dive like Janet to deeper waters.

Thanks for reading. Merry Christmas everyone. 
love, Janet and greg

No comments:

Post a Comment