Saturday, November 20, 2021

SEDONA, ARIZONA?

 YES, DEAR!
“YES DEAR!” 
They are the two most important words a man could ever utter. It could mean a matter of life or death, or at least a happy marriage...
“Yes Dear!”
Usually followed by an effusive nodding of the head, “yes dear” can make your life easier, because we all know a happy wife means a happy life, and rather than fight the inevitable beat down into submission it’s best to just say….”yes, dear!”
Of course, I say all this in jest, but truthfully Janet IS the captain of this ship. Detailed oriented and tenacious Janet works out everything, finds the best deals and when she proclaims we are good to go I say “Yes, Dear.”
Seriously. She revels in details. Comparatively, I am an idiot.
MALTA

But, even her head for details can explode when there are too many variables. We had hoped to travel to Malta and then to England this past October, but because of the COVID protocols in place at the time, there were too many loose ends like quarantining and testing, so we decided (she did) that it would be best if she traveled to England by herself to see her grandchildren.
That was a very easy “Yes, Dear” for me. I got to stay home and for two weeks I didn’t have to put the toilet seat down OR make the bed.
Malta was an alluring destination, and I really enjoy visiting Nantwich, Chesire, where her family lives, but given the COVID issues at the time it was easier this way.
JANET KNOWS ALL
So, instead of an exotic destination Janet has planned us a trip to Sedona, Arizona over the Thanksgiving Holiday. “Yes, Dear,” I say and I know better than to interfere. Though Sedona would never be on my travel radar Janet has researched and planned the trip to the smallest detail. Flights, rental cars, side trips once we’re there; Janet has planned it all. 
THE MILKY WAY

One night we are going to go star gazing with a guide. Hopefully I will finally get to see the Milky Way. Arizona, by the way has 6 of the 16 Dark Sky Communities in the country. Dark Sky Communities are those committed to keeping light pollution to a minimum….and one of them is Sedona.
Another day we’re going on a wine tour and there’s talk about taking a train to the edge of the Grand Canyon. I’ve never seen that either.
More than once, she has said I will be pleasantly surprised by this trip.
And to that I say, “Yes, Dear!” and this time I truly mean it.
Thanks for reading. Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday. We’re double empty nesters; our children are scattered across the globe, so rather than sitting home trying to figure out how to carve a turkey properly we are going on this trip.
Love Janet and greg
© 2021 by Greg Dunaj

No comments:

Post a Comment