Monday, July 20, 2009

beer pong

I never thought I would be sitting here writing about playing beer pong. It was a silly game for those who had nothing better to do than hang about in bars. Besides beer pong replaced my beloved bumper pool tables! I listened with derision conversations about beer pong tournaments. I rolled my eyes at impromptu games set up in far flung places like the beach on Grand Isle, Louisiana and thought it was lame. I've heard neighbors talk glowingly about games lasting deep into the night. No, I'm not one for drinking games. I can't drink very much without feeling the effects of the alcohol. I don't need any help in getting inebriated with a game that forces me to "chug" something. I do fine on my own, and when I'm lacking in the necessary skills to "flip cups" it'll then be a short night.

But, this past weekend I played beer pong and I enjoyed it. Of course people had to drag my ass out of the chair to get me to play, but I have to admit it was fun, especially since there was no drinking involved. Cups were filled with water and it was simply a game of skill. Now I'm not going to get a neighborhood team together and start reading rulebooks and memoirs about the game, but I will tell you it was a fun time.

The occasion was this: Janet and her cousin Jimmy each had a child graduate recently from college and they threw a party this past weekend. Janet lives in a townhome and so the game was played on a sliver of grass. People milled about on her deck and on the grass where a few tables were set up. It was a good time. The two graduates are great kids, even if they can "flip cups" better than me. For food Janet smoked a salmon on her little charcoal grill and together we made a popular gazpacho. We garnished each bowl with corn and blue corn tortilla chips and a few small chunks of fresh avocado. Aunt Betty brought potato salad and there were sandwiches and snacks.

This week Janet is vacationing without me! She's with her friends in Delaware at a beach house.... Ladies only. That's okay, I'm working on my beer pong game all week. I'll be ready for the next challenger!

thanks for reading.... if you want to stop by for a game just drop me a line. the table is all set up in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment