Wednesday, August 11, 2010

COMPETITION!

Bored and without my VFH counterpart, I decided to allow the afternoon to pass at a leisurely pace. It was hot and sunny and I drove up just north of Frenchtown, NJ to go for a run on the towpath of the Delaware and Raritan Feeder Canal. It was dug in the 1830's to transport coal from Pennsylvania to New York City and though the canal actually begins a few miles south of Frenchtown, where the river is siphoned off at Bull's Island State Park, the towpath was also used as a track bed for the Belvidere Delaware Railroad. The Bel Del railroad started in 1853 and was used to carry passengers and product for many years from Trenton to Belvidere, NJ. When I first moved to Lambertville they were still running a portion of the train system, the Black River and Western out of Flemington and into Lambertville. Now this particular line only goes as far as Ringoes.

Good sources of information about the Bel Del historic train line are: www.usrailroading.com/railroads/beldel_history.htm

http://www.brwrr.com/


Everything has now been converted into one long park that runs along the eastern shore of the Delaware and eventually makes its way across the state and ending in the Raritan Bay. This wonderful park system has been a great source of entertainment for me over the 20+ years I have lived in the Lambertville area. One can run or bike for miles and miles along this flat, serene trail. Traveling north past the beginning of the canal at Bull's Island, there are only sweeping views of the Delaware River as the trail hugs the river and Route 29 seeks a different route. It is a joy to train for marathons along this trail despite having to dodge deer, fox, wild turkeys and snapping turtles as I lope along.


http://www.dandrcanal.com/

But, despite the thousands of miles I have run along the towpath's length, I have never run north of Frenchtown. And so the other day, with nothing else to do, and obviously lots of time to kill, I decided to run somewhere new. Most of my running is around the Lambertville area, but today I drove up to the town, named thusly because a Swiss immigrant (with a French accent) settled in the area during the late 1700's.
http://www.frenchtown.com/


I found the end of the Delaware and Raritian Canal trail. Sadly, it only goes another 2 miles or so north of Bridge Street, though the track bed, according to maps, continues much further along. I actually saw no real signs of a track bed at all. The trail's end is obvious as it reaches a dirt road that winds through a corn field and to the Milford Frenchtown Road and the trail itself rapidly devolves into an overgrown hiking trail, not suitable for running. I was okay with the short distance, though I would have liked to get a longer run in for the day. The park here is very isolated and beautiful. The river was never far away and the road quite a distance off. It was as though I had the place to myself. (This means no one got to see me struggle...I am so out of shape!!!)

My reward for the run was a trip to The Ship Inn in Milford. http://www.britishbrewpub.com/
I've been going to the Ship for years now, since it opened in 1985. Fifteen years ago they started brewing their own beer. Pints are $5.25. Reasonable, good food, very good British style beers, some on hand pumps, are served in the renovated Victorian era building that sports a mildly nautical decor. It's a warm cozy place and not one television in sight. Wednesday nights you can get fish and chips and a pint for $10.00.

Well, as I was there by myself I had to gather up some reading materials to sit at the bar. I had ordered a hamburger with Stilton cheese. There were two older couples talking about the good old days when route 29 did not connect fully and they would drag race on the stretch of road, but I was more interested in reading the free handout called the Ale Street News. I finished that and as my burger came around I found the Ship Inn's little photocopied newspaper. I was very impressed. Developments at The Ship Inn included the restaurant making a point of getting beef and vegetables locally, meaning within 4 miles of the place and a move towards a greener establishment by using biodegradable straws and cocktail stirrers. But! I was shocked when I read how The Ship was in direct competition with the storied franchise, Vacations From Home. On the back of their flyer/newspaper was a very nice compilation of things do in the Delaware Valley. I wasn't really shocked, but was actually very pleased they are as proud of the area as I am. Some of the listings included frisbee golf at Tinicum Park or a place to go for a good cup of coffee in Upper Black Eddy, PA as well as a couple of websites to further plan your escapades in the area. They list the same events on their website.

Explore the Delaware Valley. From splashing about on the river, to meandering drives, to vintners, to hikes in the area state parks, there are many things to do and see without going that far from (my) home... As a chronicler of all things cheap and entertaining I may never need to leave my little place in this wide world to enjoy life.

thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment