Wednesday, July 12, 2017

BRAVE NEW WORLD

THE MUSIC CITY
As a parent my one true hope is for my children to be happy.  Why are we in this Garden of Eden after all? To find our way in this world and to follow our dreams and aspirations should be life-long quests for every one of us! But, my kids, my kids, I want them to have more than I ever dreamed of having. I want the world to be open to them. I think I've guided them well. 

There is a quote about baseball managers I had heard once, but can’t attribute to anyone in particular. It said that the best baseball managers are the ones that don’t trip their players as they exit the dugout.

Sigh.

Well, I am evidently a great manager, because my daughter has exceeded all expectations with her charm, adventurous spirit and fiery élan. My first born has marched to her own drumbeat towards happiness for a long time and the latest installment on this journey has her in Nashville, Tennessee.

Previously Florida, New Orleans and Washington, D.C. were graced by her beauty and infectious spirit, and now Nashville is the lucky landing spot. Why? Because she said it looked like a vibrant destination for her!

We all should be so fortunate in deciding our futures.

CARPE TRIP
Speaking of fortunate, Janet and I had been pondering a trip to the Music City, so named because it’s the country music capital, when this fine excuse fell into our laps.
We’ve had friends who have visited the city and were aglow about this destination. Now, while Janet is a full-fledged bluegrass enthusiast and at times takes to wearing Daisy Mae cut offs I have, at best a passing appreciation for some country music, but I am a huge fan of seeing my daughter; I see her so infrequently; that any chance I get I will leap at the chance.
 
Broadway from Acme
So, after arranging some flights and an Airbnb we soon were meeting my daughter for dinner.
 
We met her in her new neck of the woods, the upscale looking Germantown; brand new construction and quiet streets; at Butchertown Hall, a fancy smokehouse offering an array of grilled meats, mescal drinks and German and local beers on the menu. My daughter had grilled trout, Janet had the brisket plate and I basically had street food tacos; one each of pork, hot chicken and brisket. My two beers were local, Czann’s Double Wheat and Black Abbey’s Special, that tasted as Belgian as the real thing. 
There is a thriving craft beer scene here in Nashville. Here is a good listing of them all.

Butchertown Hall
My daughter was the happiest I had seen her in years. She really likes Nashville and she spoke about the friendliness of the people and the burgeoning population. She doesn’t know a lot of people here, yet, but she is sure that her circle will soon grow. Evidently people are flocking to this city on the Cumberland River. Construction is rampant and there are cranes everywhere. Having lived in New Orleans she said she missed the southern calm way of going through the day and Nashville has all that charm she was missing.  Evidently the pay scales are less though the cost of living is comparable to home. Still, she was happy in this brave new world and as her Pop I left feeling she had made the right choice.
NASHVILLE
BUTCHERTOWN HALL - GERMANTOWN NASHVILLE

No comments:

Post a Comment