Monday, July 10, 2017

LANDFILL LIVES

FOR THE BIRDS
Having some time to kill before my work day started on July 3rd and not wanting to endure the shore traffic and the crowds there, I opted to drive instead to the meadowlands area and lounge for a bit in the sun with my beach chair and a couple of bottles of water. This way I could get some sun and still be close to my job that day in Secaucus. I had heard of the New Jersey Sports Exposition Authority’s string of parks surrounding the Meadowlands and decided to go DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst. Just a few miles across the waterways of the Meadowlands DeKorte is just a few miles from work as the crow flies but worlds away from everything. This was quite the new adventure for me, for I have lived in the Meadowlands area for a large part of my life (so far) and I would never consider it as a leisure destination.

ONLY IN NEW JERSEY
I had lived in Harrison for 25+ years, on the southern edge of the Meadowlands, where the Passaic rounds in a patella shaped curve to meet the Hackensack to form Newark Bay. The edge of my hometown literally ended with the Meadowlands and although it was a risky playground for foolhardy boys it was our park. The Meadowlands is an incredible ecosystem, so very close to the throbbing metropolis of New York City, but during the time of my youth the land was considered worthless and unappreciated. For decades it was the dumping ground for industry and households, sometimes illegally and the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers were considered some of the most polluted in the United States. Huge landfill mountains grew out of the waters. As a teenager I would get a couple of weeks working for the town’s DPW during the summer and every day we would take a truck of tossed items to the landfills. A lot of my experiences there formed the genesis of my first novel “Hi, How Are You?”

For decades it was thought the proper way to combat mosquitos was to lace the water with a layer of oil. Through our cavorting we found a small body of water we called “Purple Lake” and we would try to launch makeshift rafts on it that would invariably list and sink, soaking our feet and ankles with a foul stench. Between this, the rats and the massive firecracker wars we waged, I’m surprised I survived this time of my life.
WTC MEMORIAL 

NJSEA
The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority runs the Meadowlands sports complex where the New York Football Giants and NY Jets play as well as several parks and boat launches along the Hackensack estuary. I have to admit I’d be skittish, despite my earlier sojourns in this blighted water to get into a kayak. Starting in the late 60’s with the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission and now the NJSEA steps have been taken to clean and revitalize the area. Though there has been some modest improvement there are still several superfund sites ringing the area around Berry’s Creek which empties into the Hackensack near Route 3. Perhaps the most notorious superfund site in the area involved the Diamond Shamrock Corporation, makers of Agent Orange…but  heck, that particular superfund site is in Newark and not really in the Meadowlands, so what’s the worry?
The NJSEA now operates six separate parks and boat launches in the Meadowlands area and all are free entry. There is: the Richard W. DeKorte Park, Mill Creek Point Park, Mill Creek Boat Marsh, Losen Slote Creek Park, Laurel Hill Park and River Barge Park and Marina.

Yes, fair readers you are reading this correctly! Team VFH is so cheap we are willing to spend quality downtime at a superfund site. Don’t worry you’ll be forgiven if you choose to avoid the area, but somehow I have survived all these years and a few hours hiking around won’t kill you either, hopefully.

RICHARD W. DeKORTE PARK
Getting to this park on the very teetering edge of Lyndhurst, one takes an ominous road through typical meadowlands dumping areas. Valley Brook Road begins normally enough but head east from Orient Way the road dives down into the Meadowlands and soon tall grasses edge the road in what becomes a desolate area. Even the name, Valley Brook, changes to Disposal Road. It all seems like a mistake, but eventually the road turns and just after the NJ Transit railroad tracks there is the entrance of DeKorte Park, oasis green.

Originally slated to be another landfill site, DeKorte offers 3.5 miles of walking paths through the wetlands and the trails are frequented by bird watchers as this is a major flyover spot for migrating birds. There is an incredible view of the New York City skyline and the NJ Turnpike in the distance revs by soundlessly. It’s actually very quiet here and I set up my little beach chair and read my book in the bright hot day. There is fishing in certain areas but only catch and release as the water is still too polluted and I saw several people trying their luck out on the jettys of the Saw Mill Creek Trail, once an access road for the power lines overhead. If one is able to overlook the towering landfills on the other side of Saw Mill Creek mudflats, now covered in vegetation and looking strangely verdant, one could say this was pristine. There were a couple of “birders” with their binoculars and long lensed cameras looking for something interesting but this wasn’t migrating season and so beyond that I had my little perch to myself. It seemed odd but it was quiet and pleasant and the sun was fierce. After counting planes on their approach to nearby Newark Airport I packed my bags and headed off to work. It was a surprisingly good way to kill some time.

NOT JUST BIRDS
There are several activities at the park, including free public viewing on Wednesday evenings at the McDowell Observatory, the popular and well attended Butterfly day is July 27 is free and on Friday, July 14 there is a free concert by the North Jersey Concert Band performing contemporary, Big Band and Broadway tunes...  all of which are FREE. Consult the events schedule for DeKorte Park for a current listing of events. Did I mention it’s free?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment