Monday, June 29, 2009

don't tell aunt betty

Evidently people like the way I cook. My good, but limited, menu consists of gumbo, rum soaked black beans and "chicken Dunaj". I make things like Key Lime Pie. Friends still talk about a meal I made a couple of years ago with Alaskan caught halibut and tequila. I can boil water and I can make potato salad. You know...with either bacon and mustard, or dill....

Sunday we had a graduation party to attend and the subject of potato salad had come up. I offered to make some for the hosts, Carl and Jill. They were stuck with this one ingredient for the day's plans. So, I offered and Janet smoked a salmon fillet and I churned up some potato salad, all the while drinking some very good white Bordeaux, Graves. Janet was impressed with my concoction. I don't know if the wine was influencing her ability to decide, but she said it was very good. Then the subject of potato salad came up for next weekend's Fourth of July celebration. We're attending again the Riverside Symphonia at Tinicum Park in Pennsylvania. It's a grand event held on a polo field and the Symphonia plays classical and show tunes and then switches to patriotic John Philip Souza stuff when the fireworks begin. It is an event that has many people eating grand meals and drinks, some with caterers. We've asked Janet's mother and her Aunt Betty to come, and evidently Aunt Betty's recipe for potato salad has had Janet's family jumping up and shouting hurrah for decades..... (Janet said mine was better....Betty must never know!) I too shall leap for joy with the first taste of her potato salad!

Anyway, the party was in Downingtown, PA at Carl and Jill's house. Situated on two acres along the Brandwine Creek it is pastoral and I relish the opportunity to visit. We showed up hours in advance to help with preparations and were rewarded with a great time and a place to sleep and today we lingered for most of the day at their pool. That's not really mooching is it? I mean we did a lot of work...happily. They are good people and they have a retirement home in Milford, DE and we've been down there several times already; we were down there over the Memorial Day weekend.

For a home vacation you could do worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment